Chilmark Preschool was founded in 2005 to enhance the existing goals of the Chilmark School, as well as to provide a high quality, non-profit preschool for up-island residents and the greater island community. Chilmark Preschool accepts children ages 2 years 9 months to 5 years-old. Priority is given to families currently enrolled at Chilmark Preschool, the Chilmark School and residents of the Up-Island Regional School District. Enrollment is first offered to families residing in Chilmark or Aquinnah, then West Tisbury and then the down island towns. Other considerations are age, gender ratio and scheduling needs. Prospective families should complete our online Application. Once an application is received, your child's name will be placed on our list of prospective families.
The enrollment process for the following school year typically begins in January and is completed by April. Families will be invited to visit the program during the school day. The Director will make herself available to parents to share information and answer any questions they may have. The Director will offer prospective families a spot based availability. At the time of enrollment, the following procedure will be followed:
- Parents will pay a $250 non-refundable enrollment fee to secure their child’s spot for the coming school year.
- Parents will complete a Developmental History.
- The Director will discuss the child’s Developmental History with parents and invite them to share additional information, including any other therapeutic, educational, social and support services the child may be receiving. Parents will also be asked about their child and family’s interests and needs.
- Parents will attend an orientation in late summer.
- Families will participate in a home visit in late summer.
- Parents will provide an up-to-date (within a year) physical exam, immunization record and lead screening (including results).
The Chilmark Preschool does not discriminate in providing services to children and their families on the basis of race, religion, cultural heritage, political beliefs, national origin, marital status, sexual orientation or disability. Toilet training status is not an eligibility requirement for enrollment.